Connecting to electricity

Supply connection

The owner of the building or electrical contractor/construction manager applies for the power supply connection. In the case of joint pipelines, Veitur Utilities lays all the pipes. The electrical conduit designer decides on the positioning, size and diameter of the pull-through conduit. Electrical contractors are responsible for ensuring that it is possible to pull the wire through the conduit, leaving some pull-through fish tape in the longer conduits, installing the terminal box if necessary, laying the electric main from the incoming point and connections with the main switch.

Veitur Utilities pulls the power supply connection cable through the conduit, buries cables for supply connections that are greater than 63 A and seals it with a cable at the pipe’s extremity.

The designer decides on the size of the power supply line in relation to the power requirements in consultation with Veitur Utilities. In a residential property the number of apartments is used as the basis. Veitur Utilities is authorised to make remarks regarding the designer’s choice of size if it deviates from standards and to require further design data. 

The power supply extends from the street electrical distribution cabinet or distribution centre into the master switch in the board or in the main terminal box where it is used.


  • Power supply
  • Temporary electrical power supply
  • Pull-through conduit
  • Main circuit breaker board and main terminal box
  • Incoming bay in a basement
  • Bigger supply service line connection
  • External meter box on summer houses
  • External main fusebox on stables

Temporary electrical power supply

For temporary electrical power supply (working power supply) a working shed needs to be installed on the street side of the building site and not on top of the envisaged pipeline path. If you wish to connect the working power supply directly to the street electrical distribution cabinet, the owner of the house shall cover the cost outside the site and >5m into the property lot.

The temporary electrical power supply is disconnected when the main power supply is connected. It is therefore important that the house owner be ready with a fusebox and to have an electrical contractor in place when Veitur Utilities comes to connect the main power supply to minimise power outages on the building site.

Pull-through conduit

The house owner allows the pull-through conduit (PEH) to be laid for the power supply into the incoming point. The electrical contractor takes care of laying the pull-through conduit (unless all the piping is in the same trench and managed by Veitur Utilities) and is responsible for ensuring that it is retractable.

Pull-through conduits for power supply connections of 63 A or less must have a diameter of 50 mm. Care must be taken to ensure the pipes do not narrow when bended and the turning radius may not be less than 0.5 m. For other power supplies refer to table 1 in the section on “bigger power supply connection lines” below.

For power supply connection lines of 100 A and less, the pull-through conduit must extend beyond the property boundaries. The piping shall be securely sealed, and a hole shall be left if a power supply connection can be immediately provided. If it is not possible to provide the supply connection line immediately, its location shall be marked at the extremity and buried. Generally speaking, the pull-through conduit for the supply connection should lie at the shortest distance from the property boundaries,  perpendicular to the street side of the house.  If the distance is greater than 10 m, fish tape has to be left in the conduit.

The pipe has to lie in the sand, so that there is a layer of at least 20 cm all around it. If the pipe has to be assembled the joints must be tight and handled in a manner that prevents the formation of a ridge inside. When laying the pipeline ensure that the water drainage is away from the building in order to prevent the formation of water pockets inside it. Generally speaking, it should be at a depth of 0.7 m below the ultimate surface of the soil through the external wall.

The extremity of the pull-through conduit inside the building has to be higher than the surface of the ground at the incoming point. The pull-through conduit shall be securely sealed at both ends to ensure no dirt enters it.

Table 1- Cables and pull-through conduits

Size Cable Pull-through
50 A 4 x 10 Cu 50 mm
63 A 4 x 16 Cu 50 mm
100 A 4 x 50 Al 63 mm
200 A 4 x 150 Al 90-110 mm
315 A 4 x 240 Al 110 mm
400 A 4 x 300 Al 110 mm
630 A 2 x (4 x 240 Al) 2 x 110 mm
710 A 2 x (4 x 300 AI) 2 x 110 mm
Larger supply connection lines are provided in consultation with Veitur Utilities.

Main circuit breaker board and main terminal box

The incoming point for the household pipeline must be by the external wall of the house on the street side or the side that faces Veitur Utilities’ distribution pipes. The designer is obliged to familiarise him/herself with Veitur Utilities’ conditions regarding the location of pipelines on behalf of the company.

If the main circuit breaker board is more than 4 m away from the outer wall, the electrical contractor must install an approved make of main terminal box. The main terminal box must be installed in the area which the plan drawing indicates as the incoming point, although preferably in the garage. The external wall shall be insulated with at least 25 mm of insulation behind or on the support wall.

Under special circumstances, Veitur Utilities may allow the intake point to be more than 4 m inside the house, but the house owner will have to bear the extra cost that entails.

Pull-through conduit connects to the board Property boundaries

Pull-through conduit connects to the main terminal box

Incoming point in a basement

If the main circuit breaker board or main terminal box is in the basement or below ground level, special care needs to be taken to tackle the risk of subsurface water leaking from the pipe into the board.

If the pull-through conduit does not fully reach the board, Veitur Utilities must be consulted on the handling of the power supply cable.

Main circuit breaker board in basement

Bigger supply service line connection

Pull-through conduits for power supply connections that are greater than 100 A must be at a distance of at least 0.5 m from the outer wall.

Pull-through conduits for supply connections that are greater than 100 A must be straight and end in a pit under the wiring closet. The pit must be at least 1m long and sufficiently wide and deep to facilitate the pulling and connection.

When selecting pull-through conduits for industrial property, it is good to take into consideration potential future increases in the power supply lines.

Power supply connections greater than 100A

External meter box on summer houses

For a power supply connection to a summer house, the house owner has a pull-through conduit  connected from the property boundaries to one of Veitur Utilities’ external electrical cabinets or overhead lines with a pull-through wire. The width of the pull-through conduit will depend on circumstances and shall be chosen in consultation with Veitur Utilities.

The pull-through conduit has to extend beyond the vegetation belt or an area which cannot be reached by a mechanical digger. Veitur Utilities does not dig for power supply connections within the property boundaries. The relevant house owners must take care of that part of the digging in consultation with Veitur Utilities.

For summer houses, the house owner must have a meter box which fulfils the technical conditions of the Samorka (Federation of Energy and Utility Companies). The electrical contractors install the box on the northern external wall of the house to avoid it being heated by the sun or in accordance with an approved drawing and power supply line and main. The height under the bottom of the meter box should be 1.5 m. The power supply connection shall be protected by plastic tubing up the circuit breaker board on the wall.

External main circuit breaker board on stables

The incoming point of the supply connection into a stable or comparable construction, which is not occupied on a daily basis, is in the main circuit breaker board, which is installed on the exterior of the building on the side specified in the drawing of the plot plan or in consultation with Veitur Utilities. The main circuit breaker board, which the house owner provides, must be able to at least accommodate as many kWh–meters as there are owners in the building. The board cabinet must meet the requirements regarding the compactness of electrical equipment outside a house and its exterior must be covered by a protective box made of, for example, waterproof plywood.

Meter box/Main fuse box outside house